Thursday, October 06, 2005

Making Aggie Cry

There are two choices to get from my back yard to my front yard, I either go to the end of the row with lower numbers or higher numbers. The higher number side, has several trees including a pine tree with exposed roots. This makes it extremely difficult to roll my lawnmower that way. The side with the lower numbers has no trees, although a steeper hill. I can do steeper hills. *wink*

So, I was a good girl last night and mowed my front lawn. I was rewarded for this. How was I rewarded? I found a toad in my front yard. I named it Agamemnon, or Aggie for short. It kinda developed from the toad at my parents' place being named Homer. Which given my ability to pick names, means that Aggie is a girl. I disturbed Aggie with my mowing and I snatched her up and took her in the house and put her in the turtle vivarium until I could photograph her and went out and continued mowing.

I think she's an American Toad, however, my expert herp identifier hasn't gotten back to me yet. Aggie is an adorable little toad, regardless. Unfortunately, she was also very frightened by these bizarre events. She was actually crying when I handled her. And panting in distress. I kept the photos to a minimum and put her back outside under the holly bush. Poor girl, I wish I had had some crickets or earthworms or mealworms to feed her to show that I was friendly.



After I downloaded the pictures, I went back to check on Aggie. She had already made her getaway. But while I was there, I discovered why my grass on the hydrangea side of the garden grows so fast and stays so green. That neighbor waters her lawn. I've got fringe benefits, I guess. I can't water my front lawn, I don't have a spicket out front.



If Aggie actually lives in my yard, she lives under my front step. There are the usual holes underneath the concrete from where the ground settles away from it. Which means that I won't bother doing anything to them. I will try and get a toad abode for her, and maybe set out a pot saucer with some water for her. I know, I know, overboard, but I want to take care of her and make her welcome. Especially after making her cry.