Saturday, October 08, 2005

Biblical Proportions

I think I overdid it when I did my rain dance. Since the rain started, I've gotten over seven inches of rain! It's been a steady soaking rain, so there doesn't seem to be much damage or flooding here. Even the ponding has been kept to a minimum. The parking lot/street seems to have good drainage. All of the grass is very soggy, but that's just the sheer amount of rain. My front walk is having a little bit of trouble though. The last bit of the steps is lower than the rest and has been collecting water.



The hostas under the deck seem to be suffering drainage problems as well. I think it's just because that bed is isolated. I thought that it was the pipe behind them, but that's the overflow from the bathrooms, so that's not contributing water. If rain were more reliable, I could grow siberian iris here, it seems that boggy. I guess the hostas don't mind.





The run off from the rain spouts will be a problem though. I already knew that. There is a little ravine where the spout discharges. It doesn't photograph well, and aside from making it hard to mow, there's no problem with it. But the whole area along the fence is boggy today. Including at the foot of the yard where the birdbath garden is going to go in. I'll have to mound that high over the coming weeks. I've got all winter really to haul mulch. Current order of business in the mulch department is the beds I already have, not the ones I will have.





Still more rain on the way. This system till this evening, and then chance of showers through Monday. I guess I'll garden on Tuesday, if it's dry enough. More rain after that. At the very least, I can trim the grass around the fence.


Yesterday's precipitation: steady rain with heavier bands -- 5.875"