Friday, September 09, 2005

Indoor Plants

I should also detail my other indoor plants. I have two snake plants. Spike, the big pot, is a collection of odds and ends culled from my mother's snake plant. She thinned her pot. That is the same snake plant that was in her mother's kitchen. Little Feather, is a cutting off of Spike. I broke a leaf in the car door when moving to the Dungeon. I put in water for a couple days/weeks. The water was spiked with turtle dip, so it was nutrient rich. When some roots started to show, I put in a little terra cotta pot and kept it soping. Another stalk popped up and that's where all the new growth is.

I can never remember what kind of plant Baum is. It's one of those foliage plants you always see in malls. It has a collection of leaves off of a stalk, almost like umbrella spokes. When I was a kid, my dad was rooting around in the back of a garden center and found the discount rack. This is when we lived in New York, so I was about 8 or 9. Anyway, my dad looked at that sorry collection of 10 cent plants and told us kids to pick one. It didn't matter if they died, they were 10 cents. I picked this and my brother picked one with yellow and red spots on it's waxy leaves. My brother's plant has been to this day, in a constant state of dying. Mine, however, thrived. When we moved to CT, it was taller than my mom. It had been named Baum, because it was turning into a tree. My mom chopped it off around 4 feet, supposedly so it would fit into the car. We teased her that it was because it was taller than her. But that helped it branch. I wish I had known that when I was a kid, the stalk has gotten woody and the plant threatens to be top heavy now. Sometime in the Dungeon, I broke a stalk off of that too. There is now a thriving cutting in a terra cotta pot. But that one stubbornly refuses to have personality.

More later.