Monday, September 12, 2005

Cosmos

I have a packet of Burpee Cosmos seeds. Bright Lights Mix, Klondike type. I bought it from the grocery store this year. March or April, I think. This was before I was rudely told to either move, or hand over a fortune in mortgage to keep the Townhouse I was living in. I had decided to get serious about a container garden. I was going to get one of those half barrels and plant some odds and ends in it. The cosmos, some pansies and either some petunias or million bells. I waffled about buying it as I was snowed under with other matters, so when May rolled around and I was served notice, I still hadn't done it.

Now I have a packet of seeds and a backyard. It's too late to plant them this year. But next year, it won't be a container they go into. It will be the butterfly garden. Basically the yellow coneflower types are going to be taken out and replaced with butterfly weed, cosmos and maybe mexican sunflowers. The coneflowers are nice, but I'm not thrilled about the brown cones left after the rest dies. I don't think any catapillars rely on them.