Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Great Tomato Experiment, preliminaries

Well, I've never grown tomatoes before. I never really had a reason. I don't especially like tomatoes, especially raw. But, the thought of fresh tomatoes in my spaghetti sauce, to go along with the fresh oregano and fresh garlic, was a bit much in the tempation department. So, I ordered a plant.

Yep, that's right one plant. No seeds, no monsterous garden, just one plant. And if it dies, it dies. I still figure there's a fifty-fifty chance that one plant will not make it outside into its pot around May 1st, even after cutting out my seedling apathy.

I picked up a paste tomato not known for being sweet. Sweet tomatoes just mean I have to add vinegar to the sauce recipe. This is meant to be a deep meaty sauce. I got a 'Martino's Roma' from White Flower Farm. I'll probably find someplace cheaper for next year, but I'm spoiled with automated check out carts.