Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Tweedle Tweet!

Beautiful 70 degree weather midweek, warnings of wintery mix and flurries for the weekend. *sigh* Daffodils are pushing up the buds now.

The birds aren't the only ones whistling this spring, I am too! Back in the nebulous days of grade school, I took violin. My poor suffering parents, who recently recieved belated thanks, fought with me to practice. I was just too lazy, and hated the sounds of missed notes. I stopped, because the public school system program stopped, and there was no way I was asking my parents for private lessons. I knew I wasn't dedicated enough. But I learned how to read music and am forever grateful for the experience.

Flash forward to modern times. I had seen these really gorgeous wooden recorders at a local festival and debated with myself about getting them. After working myself up, the vendor wasn't there the next year, so I recognized that I should probably learn on plastic before taking that kind of finacial plunge. Last week, I finally ordered a beginner's kit from Amazon. Tweedly-dee-dee! I'm doing pretty good, although, I still need to train my fingers. There is quite a bit of squeaking from popped fingers.

But, I'm also limited to practicing only 15 minutes a day. Again from my fingers not being used to being in these positions, nor for as long. Especially my poor abused thumb. The fact that that is the thumb that was overused with the nippers recently, bears no relation to anything. Right?