Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Strange Birds

I did have the opportunity to do some birdwatching last weekend. The large graceful birds were actually swooping and enjoying thermals where I could get them in my binoculars to make an id. They were also low enough, that I could see how huge they were. The size alone pretty much confirmed that they were turkey vultures. But the red head was visible through binoculars.

They may be ugly, but they are amazing flyers. One of them was even pulling stunts close to the tree line. They corner remarkably. The thermals behind my places are amazing. There were at least four of them.

There is also a family of them that prefer to roost on my work building. It is a bit scary to look up through the glass part of the roof and see them right there. They are big birds.