Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas Trees of the Past

My parents have always had a real tree for Christmas. Several stand out in my memory.

At the first house, there was a line of evergreens screening the house from the road. The top of one split. So, my dad cut one of the tops off for a Christmas tree. It was a typical seven foot tree. And the tree it came from had to have been at least twenty feet tall.

That was not the only time my dad turned to the yard for a Christmas tree. He's done it at least once in the house they live in now. And possibly during the house in Connecticut, but that one doesn't stand out. But why not? My dad likes having spruces in the yard, and sometimes the tops just need removed.

Generally my dad gets a tree from a road side stand, or the fire department. They don't put it up right after Thanksgiving, but not the weekend before, either. And the tree is usually up until after New Years.